Follow Me On Twitter

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Geek Or Not A Geek?

A geek, or not a geek; that is the question!  Well, maybe for most people it's not but it's something I've been wondering lately.  What makes a geek?

Well, here's a test.  You might be a geek if anything in the song below struck a chord.


Oh, that didn't help?  Okay, let's continue the anatomy of a geek then.

I asked on Google Plus the other day "When did you realize you were a geek and why?"  Frank Garufi Jr answered with; When most of my short term goals revolved around something tech. And pretty much every piece of tech was going to help me accomplish my long term goals!  (Something I would've said.)


Meanwhile Stephanie Winans responded with  I just realized I'm a geek at dinner tonight... I made a new recipe I found online. My first thought after that initial delicious bite was "man, this is great... I'm gonna like it on Facebook".


Which of those two do you think is the geek?  Frank is because he's obsessed with technology, something that still isn't that mainstream.  Sure, everybody pretty much uses tech in some form but it sounds like he lives and breathes it, which the average human usually doesn't do.  




See, in my opinion the definition of a geek is someone who is obsessed with something that usually isn't socially acceptable, or "normal."  When someone says "Oh, I'm such a scrap-booking geek" or "Man, I really geek out over baseball," they aren't really being geeks.


For me it's science fiction and knew I was a geek the first time sitting down to watch Star Trek re-runs on a Sunday afternoon back in the 70's.  On one arm I have a tattoo of the symbol for the Klingon Empire and on the other the emblem for the Battlestar Galactica.     






Lately geeks have started to become more "chic" but don't let that fool you, we'll always be socially awkward, another geek trait.  


Now, about those nerds!


No comments:

Post a Comment